Firefighter / Paramedic
($4,314 – $5,407+10% Incentive)
The City of Hoquiam Fire Department will be accepting applications for the position of Firefighter / Paramedic.
This position involves performing duties relating to protection of life and property through fire suppression, rescue, fire prevention and community education activities, and provides care and transportation of the sick and injured. The City of Hoquiam Fire Department currently provides ALS / BLS services to our citizens as well as seven (7) districts by contract covering over 400 square miles of area. We are staffed with twenty-two (22) on-line personnel working a 24 on 48 off rotation.
Employees of this class are responsible for the protection of life and property through firefighting activities and administration of emergency first aid at the Paramedic level. The work requires performance of extremely physically demanding tasks often for extended periods and under unpleasant, stressful and/or hazardous conditions. Work includes responding to calls or reports of actual, possible or potential occurrence of fire, explosion, uncontained hazardous, volatile material, chemical contamination of other property and/or life threatening emergency conditions. All work methods and results are subject to continuous inspection for accuracy and conformance with instructions, and with departmental policies and procedures.
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are considered critical to successful performance in this classification
- Knowledge and the ability to apply modern firefighting, fire prevention, rescue, hazardous materials and ALS emergency medical services techniques.
- Knowledge and ability to drive and operate fire apparatus, ambulances and other emergency and support vehicles in a safe manner following the required driving program.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of and ability to implement Grays Harbor County BLS and ALS medical protocols.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and the ability to work cooperatively with others as the leader or member of a service-oriented team.
- Ability to understand and follow complex written and oral communications.
- Ability to perform the physical activities required of firefighting and associated activities.
The following requirements must be met to be considered for employment with the City of Hoquiam Fire Department:
- Graduation from High School or equivalent GED certificate.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Be 21 years of age at time of application or by the time the eligibility list is certified.
- Possess a valid Washington State driver’s license or be able to transfer a valid license from another state.
- Possess and maintain a Washington State Paramedic certification or be able to obtain within 90 days of date of hire.
- Possess and maintain a NFPA (IFSAC) Firefighter I certification or equivalent.
- Completion and certification of CPAT within the last six months or prior to the certification of the eligibility list.
- Must meet medical, psychological and physical ability standards and Civil Service requirements.
PROCESS & APPLICATION DEADLINE
Applications can be downloaded, printed, completed and returned along with resume and a $25 non-refundable application fee to:
City of Hoquiam
609 8th Street
Hoquiam, WA. 98550
Applications will be accepted until 5:00 pm October 20, 2017
An oral board examination will follow for applicants meeting the requirements.
This process will be designed to measure the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for successful performance in this position and will result in the establishment of a ranked Civil Service eligibility register of which the Fire Chief will have the rule of three in making his selections.
Information concerning date and time of oral board examination will be sent following the close of the application period to those who have met the requirements stated.
For further information or questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The City of Hoquiam is an equal opportunity employer