Civil Service is establishing eligibility list for lateral, experienced Police Officer. Must have completed state CJTC academy or equivalent.
Salary range $4,358-$5,562/month- plus benefits and lateral officer signing bonus.
The City of Hoquiam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applications must be mailed or delivered to CITY OF HOQUIAM, Civil Service Commission, 609 8th Street, Hoquiam WA 98550. Application packets should be clearly marked LATERAL POLICE OFFICER.
- High School graduate or GED equivalent.
- Successful completion of the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission Basic Law Enforcement Academy (BLEA) or its equivalent with Washington BLEA Equivalency Academy.
- Certified Washington State Peace Officer in good standing (no pending decertification actions).
- Ability to meet physical, medical and background standards for Police Officers as established by the City.
- 21 years of age at time of application.
- United States Citizen.
- A valid Washington state Driver’s License upon hire and acceptable driving record.
- As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to successfully complete the following: Background investigation by the Police Department (criminal activity, employment history, credit history, driving record, etc.).
- Following a conditional offer of employment, a prospective officer must successfully complete, as a condition of final employment: A medical examination by a licensed physician, including drug test;
- A psychological examination by a licensed psychologist to establish fitness for duty;
- Polygraph examination.
A qualifications examination, based on the scoring of past training and experience, will be conducted of all qualified lateral applicants. Those candidates passing the qualifications examination will be ranked on an eligibility list in the order of the examination score. The qualifications examination measures the applicant’s self-declared expertise and experience in a number of policing areas including: patrol work, youth liaison work, DARE, detective, field training officer, emergency vehicle operations instructor, firearms instructor, defensive tactics instructor, and relief supervisor. Following certification, an eligibility for hire list may be used, at the discretion of the Police Chief, to fill vacancies.
The Chief may request either the lateral list or the entry level eligibility list, based upon the needs of the department. The Chief may choose from among the top three candidates on an eligibility list. Candidates may be asked to interview with the Chief and/or his designee. All requirements would have to be satisfactorily completed by the candidate as a condition of hire.